- 1 cup (100 grams) pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 ½ cups finely grated)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) safflower, vegetable or canola oil (or other flavorless oil)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 ⁰F (180 ⁰C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray a 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) loaf pan and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 – 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the bread onto the wire rack, remove the pan and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
- 1/2 juice of an orange
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Mix everything and pour on pan either warm or cold, then garnish with orange zest and walnuts